[pure-silver] Re: DELTA 100 AS REPLACEMENT FOR Tmax 100

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 17:16:33 -0700

Someone mentioned diXactol...

I've been using Barry Thornton's developers for a long time. They are pyrocatechol based developers. Before Barry, I used a highly compensating Windisch pyrocatechol formula with great success.

I produced a zone exposure and development system, diXactol Ultra and FP4, Exactol Lux and HP5, for use by my students (and of course, me). Bob Adler helped me with the grunt work in producing this - it takes several bricks (no pun intended) of film, hours shooting a gray card, hours in the darkroom processing, and hours of densitometer work to get it right. The compensating effect and staining effect of the pyrocatechol makes densitometer use problematic, but persistence and lots of testing have proven to overcome these obstacles. I've been doing this for a very long time and the seat of one's pants usually nudges one in the correct direction to make things work.

One of my students (a private one-on-one student) was taking a photography/darkroom class at a local junior college at the same time that I was teaching her. After teaching her the zone system and the zone use of diXactol Ultra and FP4, her college instructor couldn't believe the huge increase in the quality of her prints over her previous work - the huge dynamic range increase, reduced dodging & burning, and a perceived increase in fine detail.

I originally did the above type of exposure/development system for Super-XX in D76, while at Brooks Institute in 1959. Super-XX was such a great film! I have since done it for Tri-X, Plus-X, APX-100, etc, in D76 1:1. Also for Adox KB/R-14, Panatomix-X, APX-25, etc, in various developers. I have to say that my latest (Ilford films & Barry's developers) is the best yet for creating consistently easy to print, full range negatives. And, according to boB, they scan very well.

If someone is interested in using diXactol, they should go to http://www.barrythornton.com/ and click on 'Developers' / 'diXactol Ultra' / 'About & Use' for more information. Also click on 'Technique guide' followed by clicking on your subject of interest. If you want to purchase diXactol Ultra go to:

http://www.monochromephotography.com/shop.htm

Neither diXactol nor Exactol Lux, however, are a panacea. But they do allow one to, without much fuss, produce fine negatives from which fine prints can be made. You do have to understand the craft of film photography, however!

I, and many of my colleagues/students like this stuff. Buy some and try it. You might like it too. While you are at it, buy AND READ Barry's book 'Edge of Darkness' to find out how all of this came about. After you read it, read it again!

http://tinyurl.com/2gh9pn

MHO,

:-)

Jim