[projectaon] Re: The Magnamund Companion

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 12:26:24 +0000

On 08/02/2010 19:38, Timothy Pederick wrote:
I don't think we make enough mention of the fact that you're a legend
for doing this, Simon. :)

Thanks. It does help. ;-D

(I was considering diving into the PDF sources myself to help implement
these changes, but I wouldn't know where to begin...)

        _*APOSTROPHES AND QUOTATION MARKS*_

    ALL replaced.

One missed: page 48, Defender's COMBAT -> Defender’s COMBAT

Got it!

        75: [In the book, the Answers are upside down. Possible to do here?]

    I can't see any way to do this, no. You can rotate the text 90
    degrees, but not 180. :-\

How strange!

@Ingo: Unfortunately, I used M$-Word to create the source file, rather than
OpenOffice. :-\

And trying to re-do the whole thing in OO just fills me with a sense of utmost
dread!

        80-81: [I see some really strange and glaring artifacts around
        the edges
        of the picture, against the black background.]

    I re-touched the images; should look much better now.

Much, much better! :D

When I originally put TMC together, I lacked the knowledge and ability to be able to clean up the images properly. Strange how you pick these things up over time, because it's really not a special or clever technique. It probably took about 5 minutes. A couple of years ago it probably would have taken me about an hour, and the quality still wouldn't have been as good! >_<

        _*OUTRIGHT CORRECTIONS*_

    ALL Fixed, except for

        86: Guild call -> Guild calls

Will post a compiled list of all reported errata over the past week later, and I've included this issue therein.

That aside, WARDERN -> WARDEN hasn't been fixed on page 97, and are we
leaving "FEMALE FIGHTER" as-is on the same page? (Was "Adventuress" in
the rules, but that might be tricky to fit neatly into the box.)

You see what I did there? I edited the image and then forgot to replace the existing image in the document with the new one. Both fixed.

        _*MISCELLANEOUS QUERIES*_
        13, 103: [I'm not sure what "The Kotains" are -- the coast? the
        mountains? --

        but could it be a typo for "The Koltains", to match the
        "Koltainian Ocean"?]

    Ditto "The Suncoast", I guess. It's just an area of the coastline.

Aha! I've just looked at Jan Charvát's big map of Magnamund, and it's
got "The Koltains" (notice the L) labelling the mountains by that
stretch of coast. Does Jan know something we don't?

...or did I just completely fail to spot that label right there on the
map from 22tbos? Yes, yes I did. :( Okay, so this is officially an erratum:
13: Kotains -> Koltains
103: [ditto]

Ah, I see what you were getting at, now. Yes, this should have been changed an
age ago. Now fixed!

Aaaand, I've also noticed three other little issues; one simple
punctuation substitution...
20: Naaros: it -> Naaros; it

Fixed.

...and two apparently incorrect names.
18: Capital: Helmstorm -> Capital: Vadera [Ditto "port of Helmstorm". I
thought I'd seen the name Helmstorm somewhere in the books, but I've
just searched the text of all currently published books and come up empty.]

In view of Jan's comments, I'm erring towards not changing this. Escalated.

30: Capital: Sheasu -> Capital: Mydnight [Unless perhaps there's some
plot event that leads to the renaming of the city before book 23? In
which case it should use the old name on p.102.]

Agreed. In any event, the first sentence there is painfully incorrect. I've therefore also changed: "The Isle of Sheasu is the only human settlement" to "The Isle of Sheasu hosts the only human settlements".

Uploaded a modified version to the same link as previously.