[projectaon] Re: The Magnamund Companion

  • From: Timothy Pederick <pederick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 03:38:15 +0800

On 9 February 2010 00:10, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why is everyone suddenly posting problems with the books, all at once? >_<

I don't think we make enough mention of the fact that you're a legend for
doing this, Simon. :)

(I was considering diving into the PDF sources myself to help implement
these changes, but I wouldn't know where to begin...)

>  _*APOSTROPHES AND QUOTATION MARKS*_
>>

> ALL replaced.

One missed: page 48, Defender's COMBAT -> Defender’s COMBAT

>  75: [In the book, the Answers are upside down. Possible to do here?]
>>

> I can't see any way to do this, no. You can rotate the text 90 degrees, but
> not 180. :-\

How strange!

 80-81: [I see some really strange and glaring artifacts around the edges
>> of the picture, against the black background.]
>>

> I re-touched the images; should look much better now.

Much, much better! :D

 _*OUTRIGHT CORRECTIONS*_

> ALL Fixed, except for
>

>  86: Guild call -> Guild calls
>>

> The fix proposed makes the sentence even worse, IMHO. Discuss?

Well, it comes back to the old question of whether we construe a word like
"Guild" as singular or plural, doesn't it? For everyone else's ease of
reference, this is the contentious sentence:

You have mastered only *five* of the ten spells that the Magicians‘ Guild
call the ‘Brotherhood Spells’.

That aside, WARDERN -> WARDEN hasn't been fixed on page 97, and are we
leaving "FEMALE FIGHTER" as-is on the same page? (Was "Adventuress" in the
rules, but that might be tricky to fit neatly into the box.)

 _*MISCELLANEOUS QUERIES*_
>> 13, 103: [I'm not sure what "The Kotains" are -- the coast? the mountains?
>> --
>>
>> but could it be a typo for "The Koltains", to match the "Koltainian
>> Ocean"?]
>>

> Ditto "The Suncoast", I guess. It's just an area of the coastline.

Aha! I've just looked at Jan Charvát's big map of Magnamund, and it's got
"The Koltains" (notice the L) labelling the mountains by that stretch of
coast. Does Jan know something we don't?

...or did I just completely fail to spot that label right there on the map
from 22tbos? Yes, yes I did. :( Okay, so this is officially an erratum:
13: Kotains -> Koltains
103: [ditto]

Aaaand, I've also noticed three other little issues; one simple punctuation
substitution...
20: Naaros: it -> Naaros; it

...and two apparently incorrect names.
18: Capital: Helmstorm -> Capital: Vadera [Ditto "port of Helmstorm". I
thought I'd seen the name Helmstorm somewhere in the books, but I've just
searched the text of all currently published books and come up empty.]
30: Capital: Sheasu -> Capital: Mydnight [Unless perhaps there's some plot
event that leads to the renaming of the city before book 23? In which case
it should use the old name on p.102.]

--
Tim Pederick