[projectaon] Re: The Magnamund Companion

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 16:10:53 +0000

On 06/02/2010 01:42, Timothy Pederick wrote:
As promised (threatened?), here are the latest results of me downloading
a fresh copy of The Magnamund Companion and going over it carefully.
This time, I was aided by having /my very own copy/, found in the
bargain bin of my Friendly Local Gaming Store. It didn't even have a
price on it, so the cashier let me have it for AU$10!! For the record,
at today's rates, that's about US$8.60, €6.30, or £5.50.

Anyway, enough gloating. On with the list of reasons for Simon to kill me.

Why is everyone suddenly posting problems with the books, all at once? >_<

_*APOSTROPHES AND QUOTATION MARKS*_

ALL replaced.

_*FORMATTING AND LAYOUT*_

ALL Fixed, though note:

75: [In the book, the Answers are upside down. Possible to do here?]

I can't see any way to do this, no. You can rotate the text 90 degrees, but not
180. :-\

80-81: [I see some really strange and glaring artifacts around the edges
of the picture, against the black background.]

I re-touched the images; should look much better now.

110: [All Ruler: and Capital: lines, except Lara's, fail to line up with
the other rows. Why is the country data here, anyway? Every word is on
page 31, and no other Postscript page has it.]

Because that was how it was presented in the LWC Newsletter!

I've also noticed in many places in the book (the original and the PDF),
the first paragraph of a section will not have its first line indented,
but later paragraphs will.

This is correct; the first paragraph below a heading should not have the first
line indented.

_*OUTRIGHT CORRECTIONS*_

ALL Fixed, except for

86: Guild call -> Guild calls

The fix proposed makes the sentence even worse, IMHO. Discuss?

_*WORD USAGE*_
20: comprised ... of mercenaries -> composed ... of mercenaries
63: Comprised of -> Composed of [or "Comprising"]

Fixed.

And while we're on the subject of "comprised", the TSSF of the Grand
Master books speaks of "factions which comprised this huge army", which
is the non-standard usage of "comprise" -- like "is comprised of", but
in the active rather than passive voice. Same goes for 14tcok, section 235.

And do we care that JD consistently uses "decimate" in its common, but
formally incorrect, sense of "near-total destruction", rather than
"destruction of a sizeable fraction (originally 1/10th)"?

Both escalated to Jon.

_*MISCELLANEOUS QUERIES*_
13, 103: [I'm not sure what "The Kotains" are -- the coast? the mountains? --
but could it be a typo for "The Koltains", to match the "Koltainian Ocean"?]

Ditto "The Suncoast", I guess. It's just an area of the coastline.

24: city of Sejanoz -> [In the absence of the map from 27v, I've
searched the text of that book instead, including the map /description/,
and I have to ask: What city?]

Otavai, the capital city of Bhanar?

82: [Style question: in the possessive form of a vessel's name, should
the 's be italicised along with the rest of the name? Both ways look
awkward to me!]

Italicise the 's as well, I think.

108: [Okay, I know it says Rezovia lost "western territories" to
Lunarlia, but the Mens river -- supposedly the foundation of the kingdom
-- is the border between Lunarlia and Ilion, nowhere near modern
Rezovia. Their capital is by the mouth of the Ioma; perhaps that's the
river that's meant? Maybe?]

Changed Mens to Ioma.

112: [What, no Postscript for the Hammerlands?]

Nope.

115: [I take it this "semi-regular feature" never went beyond D?]

Again, nope.

_*GIAK LANGUAGE*_
I cracked a joke about checking the Giak text last time I pored over
TMC. Well, this time I did it. In addition to any outright corrections
above, I did find some points for consideration

I'll leave this to Jon and/or others who are more acquainted with Giak than I
am!

And lastly, page 115:
* "Dulag" means arrow... so "the" Zejar-dulaga is actually a plural?

Certain languages allow for pluralisation of a singular thing/person/entity to emphasize its importance. As an item that can after all KILL A DARKLORD, this might be the case here.

A pre-release updated version of TMC is here: <http://projectaon.org/staff/simon/TMC.pdf> Feel free to report anything else before I officially re-release it.

Overworked Project Aon Volunteer