[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 1)

  • From: Timothy Pederick <pederick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 23:00:42 +0800

On 11 April 2011 22:14, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Gah! Should have linked to <
> http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/17tdoi/map.htm> instead. Here
> is the description I wrote:

Aha! Even as I was writing, I was thinking, "I'm *sure* there was a
description of this already, somewhere... and surely Simon's email implies
that there is one?"

I like your version; it's shorter and more poetic. It may be less
comprehensive (omitting details irrelevant to the book, let alone the
puzzles), but I do waffle. :-)

The only thing I'd suggest is tweaking the distances to Gourstaz and the
unnamed island; it doesn't affect the puzzle, but I read your
"approximately" and "almost" as saying the little island was further away
than Gourstaz.

> Should we alter the wording to "...half the number of islands which can be
> found within 150 miles of Xaagon"? If we do, this would require a partial
> rewrite of my map-description if we were to use it.

Actually, I was thinking we could include some requirement that only islands
west of Xaagon be counted; but we'd need to come up with a phrasing that
implies "west of its meridian" rather than "due west".

>  While we're here...
>>
>> (er) 03tcok 252: the Cardonal ‘I'll not -> the Cardonal. ‘I'll not [tp:
>> Note the missing full stop.]
>>

> Fixed it (ne).

*facepalm*

I checked my copy and saw that the problem wasn't there in the original.
Then a brain fart made me think the classification for that was "errata".

--
Tim Pederick