[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 1)

  • From: Jonathan Blake <jonathan.blake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 16:37:39 -0700

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> (ft)    17tdoi  213, 322:       [so:  Can we improve this puzzle for
> partially-sighted readers?]
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/17tdoi/sect213.htm>
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/17tdoi/sect322.htm>
>
> (Link to Map:
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/17tdoi/maplarge.htm> or
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-simple/lw/17tdoi.htm#map>

I like your description.

> ======================================
>
> (ft)    02fotw  160:    [jc: You should choose to demonstrate Weaponskill
> discipline only if you possess the appropriate weapon. ]
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/02fotw/sect160.htm>
>
> Simon: This seems reasonable to me.

The corresponding section begins with "Taking hold of your weapon, you
demonstrate the Kai skills of balance and speed, as taught to you by
your Kai masters." In this case, it doesn't seem to imply that you
must have your Weaponskill weapon, but you do need a weapon.

Would a footnote saying that you need a weapon but not necessarily you
Weaponskill weapon suffice here?

> ======================================
>
> (er)    03tcok  51:     If you are brave enough to enter a cell full of
> Doomwolves, turn to 285. -> If you are brave enough to enter a cell full of
> Doomwolves, turn to 137.
> [jc: IMHO In section 76, if you have Hunting or Animal Kinship, you have to
> turn here, there you will find out that the wolves are sleeping, and you
> could attack and turn to 137 (where you kill two sleeping wolves).]
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/03tcok/sect51.htm>
>
> (er)    03tcok  76:     you can open the door and attack the Doomwolves by
> turning to 137. -> you can open the door and attack the Doomwolves by
> turning to 285.
> [jc: IMHO if you have Hunting or Animal Kinship, you have to turn to 51,
> there you will find out that the wolves are sleeping, and you could attack
> and turn to 137 (where you kill two sleeping wolves). If you don't have the
> skills, you could turn to 285, where you have to fight all three wolves and
> the barbarian. ]
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/03tcok/sect76.htm>
>
> Simon: OK, so the above two proposals are linked. To summarise, the current
> links:
>
> * from Section 76->137, you DO NOT possess Hunting or Animal Kinship but you
> DO enter the chamber, and you somehow manage to kill two sleeping dogs
> before they can attack.
>
> * from Section 76->51->285->343, you DO possess Hunting/Animal Kinship and
> you DO enter the cell, but you fight all Doomwolves and Master, despite
> knowing they are deeply asleep.
>
> The proposal is to reverse it so that using a Kai Discipline allows you to
> make use of your knowledge.
>
> See the flowchart here:
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/svg/lw/03tcok.svgz>

I'm not sure which combat is harder, the one against 30 CS or several
against 14-17 CS. Another factor is that section 285 gives you a
chance to escape. I'm tending to agree with you, Timothy, that we
should leave it as-is.

> (er)    03tcok  160:    "If you have the Kai Discipline of Hunting, turn to
> 204. If you have the Kai Discipline of Animal Kinship, turn to 318. If you
> wish to leave the tent and attack the Baknar, turn to 78.
> [BK: The way it's written, turning to 204 and 318 are mandatory choices if
> you have Hunting or Animal Kinship, respectively. That makes the phrase ""If
> you wish to leave the tent"" odd because you can only take that choice if
> it's your only choice.]"
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/03tcok/sect160.htm>
>
> Simon: This may have a knock-on effect across the books.

Change it to "Otherwise leave the tent and attack the Baknar by turning to 78."?

> (er)    03tcok  252:    Loi-Kymar bridges the moat with creepers and joins
> you on the platform. [jc: If you arrive here from section 213, the bridge of
> herbs is still intact, however it is difficult to solve, maybe footnote?]
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/03tcok/sect252.htm>
>
> Simon: I don't think this can be fixed in-game, so a footnote is probably
> required here. Any thoughts on the wording? Or maybe we just assume that
> Loi-kymar doesn't trust Vonotar's sorcery and makes his own bridge? ;-)

The "more" suggestion is brilliant. :)

> ======================================
>
> (ft)    12:     [jc: If you lose your Backpack in sections 94 or 158, and
> fail to found a new one (section 167, or later in section 2), maybe captain
> D'Val should offer you a new Backpack here (the same as is footnoted in book
> 2, section 31).]
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/04tcod/sec12.htm>
>
> Simon: This seems reasonable from a gameplay point of view. Add a footnote:
> "If you do not have a Backpack, you may choose to assume here that you are
> outfitted with one by Captain D'Val."?

Agreed.

> (er)    123:    you will need to use at least one Torch to light your way ->
> you will need to bring the Tinderbox and at least one Torch to light your
> way [DED: perhaps the text "you will need to use at least one Torch to light
> your way" should be amended to "you will need to bring the Tinderbox and at
> least one Torch to light your way"? And the footnote should be "For the sake
> of continuity with subsequent sections, you are assumed to take a Torch and
> Tinderbox into the mine here, even if you are carrying an alternate means of
> providing illumination. Your first (lit) Torch is a Special Item carried in
> the hand. Record the Tinderbox, and any additional Torches as Backpack
> Items." ?]
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/04tcod/sec123.htm>
>
> Simon: I don't see the point of marking the lit Torch as a Special Item. Is
> it referred to as such later on? If we make this change (in conjunction with
> the next one just below) we also need to add a line about removing a
> Backpack Item if you already possess a full Backpack, etc.
>
> (ft)    322:    [DED: There's a problem with torches here. The text says
> "Extinguishing your Torch, you curl up on the floor and quickly fall into a
> deep sleep. Many hours pass before you awake, totally refreshed by your
> rest......Relighting your torch, you can now see that..." Realistically, you
> can't relight your torch unless you also have a tinderbox. And the problem
> here is that the gameplay doesn't allow you to continue in the dark. I'd
> suggest this requires an amendment to the footnote we added to sect. 123 -]
>
> Simon: In conjunction with the previous change, this would prevent a
> potential gameplay issue, true.

Add a sentence to the end of the paragraph in 123 that says "Also
record the Tinderbox on your Action Chart as a Backpack Item."?