[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 1)

  • From: Jonathan Blake <jonathan.blake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 10:41:29 -0700

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 3:42 AM, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/04/2011 00:37, Jonathan Blake wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Simon Osborne<outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>> (ft)    17tdoi  213, 322:       [so:  Can we improve this puzzle for
>>> partially-sighted readers?]
>>>
>>> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/17tdoi/sect213.htm>
>>>
>>> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/17tdoi/sect322.htm>
>>>
>>> (Link to Map:
>>> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/17tdoi/maplarge.htm>  or
>>> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-simple/lw/17tdoi.htm#map>
>>
>> I like your description.
>
> OK, that's two votes for my description...! Assuming we go with it, how do
> we reconcile thepuzzle in Section 213, which assumes there are only 2
> islands within 150miles of Xaagon, with the fact that there are actually
> four? While the current description works perfectly, those relying on the
> actual image will always be wrong! If we change the text of Section 213 (to
> "...half the number of islands..." then I would need to partially rewrite
> the description.
>
> (Is this also worth flagging up for the Mongoose guys?)

Amend the puzzle to say "large islands"? Anyone trying to turn to
section 413 will quickly realize that their answer is wrong. :)

>>> ======================================
>>>
>>> (ft)    02fotw  160:    [jc: You should choose to demonstrate Weaponskill
>>> discipline only if you possess the appropriate weapon. ]
>
> If we're assuming that it's a display of skill rather than actual use in a
> combat, and that all players will begin the adventure carrying at least one
> Weapon, this seems unnecessary. Marked as Rejected with explanations.

I'm not sure that we can assume that the player has a weapon here. It
seems non-intrusive enough to add "and are carrying a Weapon" or to
footnote it.

>> Change it to "Otherwise leave the tent and attack the Baknar by turning to
>> 78."?
>
> Yes, this seems correct. I hope it doesn't mean we need to make 100 other
> changes across the books, though! Fixed.

It might, but I think we need to allow ourselves to prioritize errata
so that we get the important fixes done first. There will be plenty of
time to fix the less problematic issues later, after we've published
all the books... if we're still interested in doing so. :)