[projectaon] Re: Footnotes Redux--Revenge of the Deathlord

  • From: Jonathan Blake <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 09:14:57 -0800

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One thing I've noticed is how intrusive the ERRTAG comments are. I know that
> they were once very helpful in editing, but I think they have outlived their
> usefulness. I'd like, if it's acceptable to the other editors, to go ahead
> and remove them all from 17tdoi as an experiment. Does anyone have any
> thoughts on this?

I understand what you mean, but I admit that I have mixed feelings. I
had hoped that we could use them to eventually tie changes back to the
section and in some vaguely defined way that would allow us to
automatically recreate the original text. We would still have a lot of
work to do even if we keep the ERRTAG comments, but they might speed
up the work. In balance, if it's interfering with our current work,
it's hard to justify keeping them around for the sake of something we
might do sometime.