[projectaon] Re: Editor's Companion Submission

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:16:19 +0000

Keith Sheldon wrote:

Rel, you rock! (Rock'n'Rel!)

> (ne) 16tlov 350: consumed ... everything, -> consumed . . . everything, [KS:
> Appears the ellipses are not spaced correctly, but I may be wrong.]

[so: I think this might be caused by an extra space before the encoded
ellipsis.]

> (er) 16tlov 341: towards the north-east. -> towards the northeast. [KS: Just
> suggesting. . .]
> (er) 16tlov 341: a north-easterly route -> a northeasterly route [KS: Again,
> not sure on this one.]
[so: A ruling on hyphenated (or not) compass points would be a welcome
addition to the MoS.]

> (er) 16tlov 339: first-floor ruins -> first floor ruins

[so: I think the original hypenated form is OK here.]

> (er) 16tlov 319: rank of Kai Grand Mastership,  -> rank of Kai mastery, [KS:
> I can't think of anywhere else that a choice was phrased that way, does this
> seem odd to anyone else?  Everything else I saw was Kai mastery.]

[so: I think we decided before to leave occurrences of 'Grand Mastership',
although it is a weird phrase.]

> (er) 16tlov 319: without trace. -> without a trace. [KS: Never heard it that
> way before.  Could be me. . .]

[so: The original is probably a UK variant. 'Vanished without trace' is quite
acceptable.]

> (er) 16tlov 315: the king's death -> the King's death [KS: Important office
> title capitalized here?]

[so: I think capitalising King is probably best in this instance because it is
talking about a specific King; it's not a general term.]

> (ne) 16tlov 304: a loud Thok! [KS: In the text, the word Thok! (is that a
> word?;)) is italicized.]

[so: It's onomatopoeia and should be encoded as such. There are no real rules
governing onomatopoeic words since they're all made up! ;-)]

> (er) 16tlov 302: Kai pathsmanship Discipline -> Kai Pathsmanship Discipline
> [KS: -or- Magnakai Pathsmanship Discipline]

[so: My own pref is the second one since Pathsmanship is a Magnakai Discipline.]