[projectaon] Re: 25totw errata

  • From: David Davis <feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 10:03:54 +0100

well to be even more pedantic, we do (conceptually) have all those noun
cases,
 we just don't change the noun endings to indicate them other than an
apostrophe s for the genitive.

 --
 http://www.feline1.co.uk

 On Wed 27/04/11 10:00 AM , Timothy Pederick pederick@xxxxxxxxx sent:
   On 27 April 2011 16:50, David Davis  wrote:

the thing with Latin loan words in English is that we do *not* decline
them, as English doesn't have cases - Sure we do: nouns have nominative
and possessive cases, and pronouns have a bit more variety. Also
declension covers plurals, and that's really the  form of declension
we're talking about. English borrows Latin plural forms for many Latin
loan words.

 Or to put it another way, if English _never_ used Latin declensions for
Latin loan words, "bacteria" wouldn't be used in English at all; we'd have
"bacteriums" instead. :-)

 --
 Tim Pederick