Re: Sonified Debugger vs. Screenreader Question

  • From: "inthaneelf" <inthaneelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:34:52 -0800

Andreas,

john hit it correctly on the "may as well do it with the latest version" of VS 2008, also there is a newer version of jaws being implemented as well.

I can't help you with the "how do you's" since I have barely scratched the surface of VS 2005, but there is scripting information, which to clarify those, scripts are what tells jaws how to find items, and how to properly interact with objects and events in a particular program. there is a 'default" set of scripts, that jaws uses if there is no application associated scripts in its folder, but if there is a set of scripts in the folder for the application just opened, it references those first, and then the default scripts. an example; in Microsoft word, the scripts tell it that there is a section of the screen that is to be jumped to if you hit F6, that if you hit another key combo, to go to the tool bar, etc. but the word scripts tell it not to automatically read down the screen when a new document is brought up or when the screen is refreshed, while the scripts for internet explorer, don't have the section that the word ones go to with the f6 keystroke, so that one is not in them, while they tell jaws to automatically read the screen when a new page is brought up.

if you see what I am getting at here, the scripts give specific instructions on what items are, and how to interact with them, when to, and what a certain keystroke combination is to do in that particular application.

another thing to keep in mind, jaws, window eyes and hal, along with the open source screenreaders all use different methods of interaction, differing ways to incorporate information for general and specific application interaction, and different ways to allow us to work with the application, such as jaws use of script files, window eyes uses "set files" and there are far less of them than jaws and its scripts, and hal uses something called map files, which I have no clue on how those work, having never finished the low level research into them that I had planned to do.

your program would be best if it made the interaction of the vs debugger system more able to be interpreted by the readers, along with your use of sounds to assist in the process.

the biggest thing I can say about application interaction and construction, is ** use standard windows controls ** the readers are designed to work with these and understand the aspects of them, if you make custom controls the MSAA info is not there, and the reader is going to try to see the thing, not find a relationship to what it "knows" and sit there giving us little or no interaction due to it not understanding how to do it.

there is scripting information for jaws, a set of setup instructions for visual studios 2002 through 2005, a set of scripts for jaws 6 and up, and a list of the Microsoft built in hot keys available on my grab bag site at:
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com

there is as well a set of documents in a zip package on programming for accessibility in games, but the principles apply to general programming as well.

I hope this is of help to you in your Endeavour,
inthane
. For Blind Programming assistance, Information, Useful Programs, and Links to Jamal Mazrui's Text tutorial packages and Applications, visit me at:
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com
. to be able to view a simple programming project in several programming languages, visit the Fruit basket demo site at:

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Greer" <jpgreer17@xxxxxxxxxxx>