Re: Sonified Debugger vs. Screenreader Question

Hello Andreas,
Let me explain you what are jaws scripts and why they are needed.

Every screen reader works gatering informations from an application
and presenting them in a understandable form to the blinds. Although
this process can follow some algorithms, it is proven that not all
necessary informations can be gatered in some applications. JAWS
solved this by a extremely inteligent way: it exposes us a scripting
language, which can be used to tell jaws how to gater and present
information when its standard methods fail. And, despites JAWS isn't
freeware, the scripts lissensing schema is flexible, so that one can
develope scripts to help jaws to read correctly an application and
make them available to everybody else.
JAWS scripting is a procedural language which allows for logical
expressions, use of variables and functions. Built in functions let us
have access to the application window structires and etc, so that we
can almost tell jaws how to react to a keystroke or an event, such as
window creation, key press and some others.
 If you're interested I can send you a sceriptingg manual, which
should put you right inside jaws scripting. You would learn what jaws
is capable of doing with this abstraction llayer and, I am sure,
understand why scripting is so important.
Marlon2007/11/22, Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>:
> John,
>

> > A couple of things to consider.  You may also want to consider downloading
> > and installing the Jaws scripts available at Inthanes site for Visual
> Studio
> > 2005.
>
> What are the scripts used for? navigation? Coding? Are the scripts
> something blind programmers would typically use while programming?
>
> > You may also want to consider that there is a newer version of Visual
> > Studio now available and you might be better served to develop this for
> the
> > latest version of the program.
>
> I'm actually developing for a custom research tool, not Visual Studio
> directly per se, so it shouldn't matter which one I'm using. Far as I
> thought, 2008 is still in beta anyway though isn't it?
>
> Andreas

free."
Linus Torvalds