Re: Searching for blind programmer to start a school for blind programmers

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 09:22:08 +0200

It sounds excellent. This project is going to open up doors for visually impaired people to become programmers like no tool before it.

BTW, I suppose the latest SodBeans is on Source Forge?

Suppose you already know Java, could you use SodBeans to code Java in addition to HOP? How about other languages?

Having recently started using Braille with a computer, does SodBeans offer any special support for Braille displays and Braille in general?

Very exciting that it would be possible to produce jar files with HOP some time in future!

Last comment / question. I know people complain a lot about the difficulty of using a modal text editor like vi or vim and I fully agree that it's a steep learning curve, but I must say, once you have the hang of it, even just the basic movement commands, bookmarks in code and jumps then you can edit complex and large code files very easily. I also suspect that RSI is less likely with heavy vim-ing since you generally don't have to use more than one key press at a time, unlike emacs *I believe. Some things require holding down one key but it is the minimal odd case only. OK now my question; is there any current or planned modal text editing support planned for the SodBeans editor code editor window?

Regards

On 4/12/2011 4:47 AM, Andreas Stefik wrote:
Kerneels,

Ha, thanks. We have lots of new stuff we're adding in. I think the
audio feature I like the most is the new Sodbeans error conditions. In
Hop now (internally), if you throw an exception, Sodbeans will say
something akin to, "Dude, seriously, you threw a divide by zero error.
Press the back button and you'll hear why." Ok, so not exactly that,
but it tells you what happened and why in plain English. The new
auditory brace matchers are nice too. Oh, and we're getting much
better at using prosody, like pitch shifts and things, to represent
various aspects of the code. Oh, and we're slowly replacing all of the
default key combinations in NetBeans so that instead of saying what
key you pressed it says what NetBeans actually did, like copy
something to the clipboard or saving a file, or whatever. We're also
releasing our text-to-speech engine and Hop separately from Sodbeans
this release, we think, so that folks that want to try our
language/tools, whatever, don't have to actually use Sodbeans to do
it. Or, at least, that's the plan, if we can get it all done. And we
think that we may have Hop outputting Java Jar files by the 2.5 or 3.0
release, so that folks can build libraries in Hop directly and then
load them into other apps or whatever they want to do with it,
including full screen reader support and all that.

So, I don't know, maybe I'm silly, but I'm really excited about the
direction things are going in. There's a long way to go, but we're
making progress.

Stefik

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Ken Perry<whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Ha I don't know I have heard some of the best coders and their interviews
scare me.  Voices a mother or a vampire would love and all.

Ken