RE: Searching for blind programmer to start a school for blind programmers

  • From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 18:54:07 -0400

I want to put this out here because I work for APH.  I actually work in the
Education research department even though I am a programmer.  This stuff you
guys are talking about is actually part of APH's mission in that making
educational products that do not exist is what they /we are here for.  I
think part of the problem is no one has wrote it up as a need / product.  I
have told them some of the things I would like to do but my wants are low on
the list but if let's say some of you went to the APH web page and made a
product suggestion of things like accessible xcode coding environment.  It
would get our higher up's in talks with Apples higher ups and we the little
programmers would be called in to do the talking.  We have already made
large changes to how Apples Braille works because we have roads into the
company and they do listen.  The same goes for Programs to teach coding or
accessibility in coding.  So it might be nice if some of you have product
ideas to go put them in.  Remember a product doesn't have to be something
like an actual device.  It can be a teaching tool for example we make one of
the only tactile Chemistry boards that show all the atomic weights even
though we are having to change it because of the new changes to atomic
weights.  We also make things like physical education tools and syllabuses.
I am betting if there was enough people writing in about needing accessible
tools for programming there would be more drive for us to write things in
the office.

Ken