-=PCTechTalk=- Re: windows update

  • From: ~OoO~ <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:15:28 -0400

You've already gotten the explanation of what this is from others on the list.
I just wanted to add that you don't have to install this if you don't want to.
You can still download CRITICAL UPDATES from MS if you have AUTOMATIC UPDATES
enabled. But, to get updates to programs like WINDOWS DEFENDER, or WINDOWS
MEDIA PLAYER, or to even download the newest versions (including IE7) then yes
you need the WGA patch installed.
I have AUTOMATIC UPDATES set to DOWNLOAD but LET ME CHOOSE WHEN TO INSTALL. So,
when I get a notification that there are new updates, I would look at it and if
WGA is in the mix I would uncheck it and CONTINUE. It would then say to CHECK
HERE if you don't want us to ask you about this update again. I go ahead and
check that, and won't be bothered again until the new WGA patch comes down the
pipeline.

======================================
= SirTroth
= ICQ: 1717439