-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Well it seems My Guardian Angel Acted Again :p

  • From: Don <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:09:47 -0400

Yes.  No.  Maybe.

Vista programs come in 3 varieties...

32-bit
32-bit "works in Vista 64-bit"
64-bit

The "works in Vista 64-bit" means the program installs to the Programs
(x86) folder and runs as 32 bit  software.  That means it totally
ignores the fact you have a 64 bit environment and in some, maybe all,
cases ignores anything and everything in the 64-bit sections of the
registry.  This is important when using system tools as only a 64-bit
tool will do a 64-bit job.  I have browsed several system utilities and
a large number that "works in Vista 64-bit" warn that they ignore the
64-bit areas of the system and specifically the 64-bit sections of the
registry.

Far too much software out there is "works in Vista 64-bit".  I would
make sure that your security suite is capable of detecting and
protecting against 64-bit invasions whether it actually runs in 64-bit
mode or simply "works in Vista 64-bit".

64-bit threats are probably very few and very far between right now, but
if you are in a true 64-bit browser, email client, download manager, ftp
client or similar tool then you want to be protected "just in case".

NOTE:  Flash from Adobe does NOT work in 64-bit browsers.  You must use
32-bit IE (comes with Vista x64) or other 32-bit browser if visiting
YouTube or other sites that require Flash.  Adobe is very arrogant about
this issue and so far has refused to make a 64-bit version for any OS
including OS X and Linux.  Do not expect it to get with the program
anytime soon.  Adobe will only say "sometime after version 10".

Don

Cosmic wrote:
>  While I am still working hard at nights and saving for a new PC to build;
> MyAunt must have gotten word and Purchased me a New PC ... Like last time it
> is a "Pre-Made" one and such, but this time with a 22 inch Wide Screen LCD
> !!!! Well anyway it also has Vista 64; Since I have yet to have vista at
> all;let alone 64bit, I was curious will I have to go purchase new Programs
> orwill all the "normal" ones I have run on it ?? I plan to set it up later
> tonight and network it with my Old one to transfer user files ..
> CC

in the Subject.