-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Well it seems My Guardian Angel Acted Again :p

  • From: Cosmic <cosmicc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 09:06:57 -0400

 Yea not running out to Buy XP Pro yet ;) lol But it has been less then 12
hours or so and I am already ticked about things LOL Then Again I just don't
like change ya know :p I used Win98 for the Longest time before I switched
toXP .. Then when I did I was ticked for a bit till I got use to it; then I
loved it LoL So I know change is a process blah blah blah LOL Luckly right
now I do not need to worry about firewalls and the such since My Vista PC
Will not be on the net; least not for a few weeks and all ..
Steve Aiello wrote: Here's what I've found with the 64-bit I installed on
oneof my back up drives. First was the firewall programs. PCTools says point
blank they will not work with 64-bit. Hard a hard time with Zone Alarm, I
could not get it to work, so I stuck with the windows version. Had no
problemwith the AV I use , Avast , seems to work ok. There will be 2 IEs.
Onewill say Internet Explorer and the other Internet Explorer 64-bit. All
thesites I use except the game site, pogo and slingo worked in the 64 bit
version. Pogo and slingo use Java, Flash and Shockwave and they do not have
a64 bit version, I belive Don stated that. Firefox and Avant browsers work
with no major problems. As far as Games I have purchased and installed some
played ok some didn't. Simple games like poppit to go and solitaire play ok.
Games with a lot of action chicken attack, a kind of space invaders. and
ricochet: infinity played haltingly. Most of my adware programs seem to work
fine. Ad a ware, super antispyware and malware bites are fine spybot s&d
justdid not want to work for me. Perhaps if I had spent a little more time
working with them to find a way to fix the problems they all would work
fine,with the exception of the firewalls. My best advice would be don't give
up on vista. It takes time to get to learn and yes it casn be a royal pain
inthe ass, but if you can learn it's limataions and how to work within them,
so as not to stress the OS. it will work ok. It is not what MS promised it
would be, but it is not as bad as the Apple ads make it sound. Well that's
enough rambling. Steve On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Cosmic
<cosmicc@xxxxxxxxx>[1] wrote: Been using Google all day; found a bunch of
great sites too .. But no one ever explains it as cut and dry as you do G ;)
Haven't really had time to lurk too much even .. Between night shift and
House Hunting now I have been dead on my feet sometimes .. Gman wrote: Hey
CC, it's great to see ya! :) In addition to all that's already been said,
apps that won't work come down to anything that includes any amount of
16-bit(or earlier) code. Of course, that means any 16-bit apps, but it also
includes any 32-bit apps that have the unfortunate luck to be tied to a
16-bit installer. There are numerous examples of this, but most apps have
already been updated with full 32-bit installers that will work just fine
under Vista 64. The good part is that Vista will balk if you try toinstall
one of these 16-bit apps or a 32 that uses a 16-bit installer. You'll be
ableto gracefully back out without hurting the OS at all. That will give you
the opportunity to go hunting for a replacement that may turn out to be
better than whatever app you had been using up to that point. If you've been
lurking all this time, you may have seen a very recent post from me
mentioning that there are now tons of freeware and open source apps
availablethese days. A little Google goes a long ways these days. lol
Peace,Gman
http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php[2][1]<http://www.thevenusproject.com
/index.php%5B1%5D>[3]"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask"
----- Original Message ----- From: "Cosmic" <cosmicc@xxxxxxxxx>[4][2] To:
"!!~*G's Tech*~!!" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[5][3] Sent: Wednesday, June
03,2009 9:32 AM Subject:-=PCTechTalk=- Well it seems My Guardian Angel Acted
Again :p While Iam still working hard at nights and saving for a new PC to
build; MyAunt must have gotten word and Purchased me a New PC ... Like last
time it is a "Pre-Made" one and such, but this time with a 22 inch Wide
Screen LCD !!!! Well anyway it also has Vista 64; Since I have yet to have
vista at all;let alone 64bit, I was curious will I have to go purchase new
Programs orwill allthe "normal" ones I have run on it ?? I plan to set it up
later tonight and network it with my Old one to transfer user files .. CC
separate PCTableTalk off-topic group, send a blank email to:
pctabletalk+subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[12]

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:cosmicc@xxxxxxxxx
   2 http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php