-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Transfering data from old computer to new

  • From: "nightsneak" <nightsneak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:04:43 -0400

I had corresponded with Troth on this issue, and he gave some great
suggestions, but nothing worked to get my system to see the old hard drive
as either the primary, slave, or the slave to the CD burner. I tried all the
jumper settings, Master, Slave, Cable Select. I tried 3 different cables,
all of which work normally, and still cannot get it to see a second drive,
whether the drive is the new hard drive or the old hard drive, or the slave
to the CD. It will show a master, but no slave. Also, for quite a while, it
was showing my CD burner as my Primary drive. Somewhere along the line, I
got that now to show as the Secondary Master, but I didn't notice when it
changed, so I don't know which combination got that back right.

Any other suggestions?

It is not that important any more, as the drive I am trying to copy is very
old, small, and has much outdated stuff on it. I pretty much CD burned
everything that I wanted, so that isn't an issue. It just irritates me that
I can't figure out why it won't see two drives.

BTW, this is my Maxtor replacement that I am trying to get installed in
here. An 80GB drive that has failed twice and been replaced twice in less
than two years. I know on their site, they say that they may send you a
refurbished drive, but the first one I received was dated only a month
sooner that the date I got it, and this one is dated April 2003. I have to
"ass-u-me" that that means that they are new?? or would that be a refurbish
date on the back of the hard drive? It is not a separate sticker, the whole
sticker on the back of the hard drive is all in one piece. So I would also
like to know if this could be a defective hard drive, BEFORE I bother
putting all my *stuff* back on there.

nightsneak