-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Java Update

  • From: "recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx" <recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 08:03:19 -0400

Glo and Gman,

I am 177% confident in CCleaner.  I have never had it "clean" anything I
ever had cause to regret.  I admit I do, on occasion, tell it to backup
the parts of the registry it will clean but again, it has never cleaned
anything I needed and I have never used a backup.  Probably 98% of what
it finds is references to files no longer on the hard drive or no longer
needed or references left behind after an install, update or uninstall.

CCleaner also does an excellent job cleaning up unnecessary files
similar to what CleanUp! 4.x or Window's own "Disk Cleanup" does.  I
have never regretted using this feature either.

Revo Uninstaller is an uninstall utility that will first try using the
programs uninstall utility, if not available, it will use XP's or
Vista's uninstall utility.  Afterwards, if so instructed, it will do a
thorough inspection of your system and remove some, most or all of the
leftovers.  I always use CCleaner after all uninstalls just to be sure
everything is removed.  It almost always finds something that was missed
by both of those.

I suggest finding and downloading the "portable" version of these
programs.  The virtues of portability have been discussed here on
several occasions so I will not repeat them now.

ccleaner ver 2.22.968 - portable is available here:
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds  (so is the "normal" version)

revo uninstaller is available here:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Don

Gman wrote:
> Glo,
>     The 'moron' in this situation is the person who had the final say on how
> these infernal contraptions should be set up, many many years ago.  The rest
> of us are just stuck in this situation they brough about becuse they didn't
> have the foresight to see just how limited their final design would be to
> the incredible growth of computer technology.
>
>     It sounds to me like you did actually get to the point of installing
> that Java download, although I'd feel better about it if you'll let me have
> a peek under the hood.  If there's something getting in the way if it
> updating properly, that should be dealt with sooner than later.
>
>     It also sounds like you would get a TON of benefit out of running the
> CCleaner utility on your system to deal with some of the mess you're talking
> about here.  CCleaner looks for partially uninstalled apps, orphaned files &
> reg entries, Temp files, etc. and presents a comprehensive list for you to
> jettison off the hard drive.  Most folks are astonished at how much junk
> this thing finds and removes.  It's the absolute closest thing to a registry
> cleaner that I'll likely ever use, but it does a whole lot more than that.
> If you choose to give it a spin, be aware that the initial scan will likely
> take a couple of hours to run since it look sat every file available to the
> system.
>
> http://www.ccleaner.com/
>
> Peace,
> Gman