-=PCTechTalk=- Re: I am looking for a deal on computers

  • From: "Barnstoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:11:35 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "poppy0206" <poppy0206@xxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 1:25 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: I am looking for a deal on computers

> Thanks MJ,
>
> May I be so dumb as to ask what an emachine is?
>
> christine

Christine, two thoughts spring to mind...firstly, if it's just as a 'second'
machine and you don't need anything particularly fancy, why not look for a
second hand machine?

I know computer fairs here in the UK are rather different from what you get
over there, but I regularly see decent machines on sale for under £100 from
bona fide dealers. Spec wise they are about 4 years old (processor in the
region of P300, 4 to 8 gb hard drive, 64 or 128mb ram ,  usually on board
sound/graphics), but they do come with up to 90 days guarantee, and even
have a monitor with them.

If you don't fancy going down that route, look for people that make up
systems. For under £200(approx $300), I can get a system  that gives me an
AMD Duron 1300, 40gb hard drive, 256mb SDRAM, on board sound, LAN and
graphics, keyboard, mouse and speakers. These usually come with a 12 month
RTB warranty.

Considering the U.S. is usually much cheaper than the U.S. for stuff, you
may well be able to find it much cheaper (What we pay in ££'s, you normally
pay in $$!!). Bear in mind though that these type of deals are usually 'Bare
Bones' systems, so you would probably need to do the O/S installation
yourself

Cheers

Andy