-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Here's my deal of the day

  • From: "Barnstoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:48:08 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judith" <jtb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 12:35 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Here's my deal of the day

> OK really dumb question -- can you have two hard drives in an
> HP Pavilion 8396?
>
> Or would I have to have my tech replace my 11 gig one with
> this?  And do all hard drives come in the same size to fit all
> machines?

Shouldn't be a problem. I'm not familiar with HP PC's but all motherboards
come with two IDE controllers (The things that hard drives and CD/DVD Drives
connect to), and all IDE controllers can handle two pieces of hardware (i.e.
any combination of 2x hard drivers or 2 x CD/DVD drives-).

So if you have only one hard drive and one CD or DVD drive, it won't be a
problem. It will mean making a couple of small changes to your settings, and
you may need a new IDE cable (very cheap). There may be a few other little
'pitfalls' to avoid, depending on your set up. If you aren't comfortable
with doing it yourself, it's a VERY easy job for a tech to complete.

Cheers

Andy