-=PCTechTalk=- Re: GMan - lcd reply

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCTechTalk FreeLists Group" <PCTechTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:17:16 -0400

Rudy,
    As you already know, LCD monitors are designed for a certain resolution.
Any setting other than that resolution causes the monitor to interpolate
(add pixels that aren't in the original image to fill the screen or subtract
pixels to allow the image to fit).  However, the snippet you sent below
contains the info you're after ("Various display devices react differently
when displaying content using a device's non native resolution.").
Essentially, this means that your own eyes will have to be your guide.  If
I'm not mistaken, your monitor has a rather high response time.  This allows
it to compensate better than a slower monitor.  Still, there is a chance
that you might be able to tell the difference (native vs. non-native res)
during certain fast moving passages of games &/or movies.  Other than that,
I doubt it'll make much, if any, difference in your viewing pleasure.

    ClearType is meant to be used for LCD monitors to smooth out the jagged
edged typeface used in many fonts.  It's important to remember that not all
fonts contain these 'jaggies' (and some contain more than others), so your
results will vary according to the font in use when you test the effect.  I
have not even considered tweaking ClearType, so I really don't have an
answer for that question.  If you come across a site/forum/etc. that
discussed the subject, send in the link so I can check it out.

    Finally, don't worry that you're dragging anything out that's bugging
you.  The description for PCTT on our homepage includes the line "...
helping folks get the MOST out of their computers." (Caps used here for
clarity)  I meant it when I wrote that back in '98 (or whenever it was) and
we will abide by that for as long as this group exists.  So, any ime you
feel like you're not getting the complete answer you seek or if the complete
answer just creates more questions, don't hesitate to keep the thread going.
Of course, if it creates a somewhat related question, it may be best to
start a new thread for that (to aid other folks using Search in the future).
:O)

Peace,
GMan