-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Event Viewer [Sandi Beach]

  • From: "ms24" <ms24@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 00:40:34 -0400

Hi Sandi,

I went to the HP site to their Forum and found someone else had the same
problem and here?s what was suggested.

[I don?t know who the author is (name is below) but the advice sounded like
good advice and it?s what I would do in your place, so I hope this works for
you.]

2 different solutions included:

Uncheck the HPCMPMGR.EXE file from the startup lists:

1. Click Start and select Run.

2. Type MSConfig and press Enter.

3. Click the Startup tab.

4. From the list, deselect all the programs related to HPCMPMGR.EXE (HP
Component Manager).

5. Click OK.

6. Restart the system.

NOTE: To restore any of the removed items, repeat the above mentioned steps
and select the checkboxes for the designated applications.

If the problem persists, download and install the utility, which disable
this service. This utility will disable the HP Component Manager
(hpcmpmgr.exe) on your computer, preventing any future calls to HP Servers
for this program. The entries for the HP Component Manager software will be
removed from the Windows Registry.

You can resolve this error by downloading and executing the patch.

Please visit the following web site to download the patch:

HYPERLINK
"http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=us&softwa
reitem=dj-16758-1"http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?l
c=en&cc=us&softwareitem=dj-16758-1

The name of the file is hpslnmgr_disable.exe and file size is 585.56k

This utility will disable the HP Component Manager (hpcmpmgr.exe) on your
computer, preventing any future calls to HP Servers for this program. The
entries for the HP Component Manager software will be removed from the
Windows Registry. HP advises owners using Windows Me and XP to make a System
Restore point prior to running this utility and another after it has been
run. Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then System
Restore to run System Restore.

If you have previously signed up to participate in the HP Product Survey

Program, you can turn off the uploads of your printer usage logs simply by
pressing Start, Programs, HP, and then Stop HPProduct Survey Program
Participation. You do not need this utility to stop participation and the
associated server calls to HP to upload your data.

BEFORE PROCEEDING:

Be aware, if you have other HP All-in-one, Deskjet or Photosmart printers
connected and installed on the your computer, this utility will also disable
the HP Component Manager for those products. HP Laserjet printers, HP
ScanJet scanners and Photosmart camera software and other HP equipment
connected to your PC will NOT be affected by thisutility. Disabling the HP
Component Manager will not affect the normal function and behavior of the
printer.

Also be aware that if you install other HP All-in-one, Deskjet or Photosmart
printers or if you re-install this printer this software will be enabled
again. You will need to run this utility again to disable the software for
those devices.

This should resolve the issue.

Please get back to me with the results.

Ravi [Person who submitted this to HP Forum]

   Emma

ms24@xxxxxxxxxxx