-=PCTechTalk=- Re: D drive backup

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 00:04:21 -0700

Hi all!
Yes I see the message.. LOL!

When I got the Sony computer home and turned it on, it was set up to tell me to
make a set a recovery disks.  I honestly did it right then.  I had the option
of using CD's or DVD's.  I went the DVD route.  I then made a second copy, just
in case the first copy went bad or had not copied everything correctly.  I
really could not do a compare anyway.  Besides, having a second copy and having
it outside my home...say in a bank safety deposit box or something is not a bad
idea.  (Wish I could say I did that..but I did not)  I did have to restore my
machine after some problem,  I do not remember what it was.... (oh! Yes I do,
the hard drive went bad and had to be replaced!) and again, I was reminded by
the computer to make a copy of that partition.

Sony had it all set up.  If  you do not make the disks right away, you get
nagged.

I do NOT remember how I did it, but I copied the whole first hard drive
(including that 'hidden' partition) to another smaller empty hard drive.  I did
it because I do not install anything on my first drive if I can help it.  This
way, if the system drive dies...I still have my file structure in place.  The
COSM is a direct result of my wacky behavior and GMan's desire to help me make
it right.  While I reformatted the old C: after copying everything to the
smaller drive, I left the 'hidden' partition in place.  So I really had 3
copies of it...two on DVD's and one on a hard drive.  It just took a little
under 5 GB of space.

By the way GMan,   I will get back to you as soon as I am sure this new machine
is going to be ok.   I have had quite a few BSOD occurrences.  I do not know
why.  I have seen it happen when the machine was idle (well, no human
interaction for a half hour or longer...I know the machine is always doing
something.   Maybe it just needed attention)  Also, we put in a fire wire card
and it did not seem to be recognized by the system.  We (Jerry) also discovered
the fan in the front was not connected.  When I bought the new power supply
(700w) at the time of purchase, they evidently did not plug the fan in.  (They
installed a second video card, the power supply and memory when I bought the
computer, before I left the store).  I also had them install the Vista Ultimate.
This way, they could not blame ME for any problems.  The warranty is for five
years..so they have to love me   lol!
(This is the same place I bought the Sony - Fry's Computers - and they are
actually very nice to me.  It is a huge store.  Bob can tell you as Jerry & I
took him there when he was here visiting his family.  He loved it...lol!

So, I will get back to you on the reorg.  I am trying to clean out the Sony for
Jerry and put stuff I NEED on the  Fry's Machine.  (It you want to look it
up... go to www.Frys.com and in the search..type in FM8445.  That is the model
number.  You would love all the fans on this baby.... haha!

Will get back to you soon.
Rose
Las Vegas