-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Can I update my HP

  • From: Foxhillers@xxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:46:38 EDT

In a message dated 9/19/03 3:50:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jtb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> OK -- need advice -- I absolutely adore my HP Pavilion even
> though it is 5 years old -- but in order to do larger
> paintings -- I need the following:
> 1 gig of Ram
> 60 Gig or more HD
> 1 GHZ for speed
>
> Can I update my HP Pavilion 8396 to this?  It now has a:
>
> Processor:  GenuineIntel Pentium (R) II 451 MHz
> Math Suppport:  On Chip
> BIOS: Phoenix Technologies
> Bus Type: PCI,ISA, AGP, USB
> Ports: 1 Parallet, 2 Serial
> Memory: 512 (47% Utilized)
> Floppy Disks: 11.23 GB, 30.0 MB
> Multimedia: Sound, CD-ROM
> Video: 800X600 in 32bit Color, RAGE PRO
>
> From the looks of the above I would have to add 512 more in
> memory? A bigger Drive and a different Processor -- in order to
> update.  I looked at systems out there but they do not have
> what I want and are over $2500.  So would rather update if I
> can.
>
> Please give me your thoughts on this.  Thanks
>
> Judith

Judith
   What OS are you running?  W98se optimizes at 512 mg.  What graphics
software that requires a gig or memory and a pressor that speed?
   Your mothboard is the key to how far up you can go.... go to the tech
specs on HP and see how fast a processor the board can support and how much of
what kinds of RAM.
   And, you can get a whole lot of computing power with an OS for about
$1,000.00

MJH