-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Boot problem_DSL

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 18:15:06 -0500

Well, I'm not familiar with DELL or your OS because I skipped ME and went
to XP, but it really does sound like there is something set to pause after
the POST.  The setting would not be called system halt, it would be an
option under another setting - something to do with the POST, which, as you
may or may not know, is the Power On Self Test.

I suppose it is possible that it could be in your boot sequence.  For
example, if your system is set to boot from floppy or CDROM, if nether is
inserted and the system files are on a hard drive which is next in the
sequence, every machine I've seen (not a lot, but more than a few <G>) will
just go there and boot from the hard drive.  It is unlikely, but possible,
that if there wasn't a floppy or a CDROM in the drive it would require you
to confirm before going to the hard drive for the OS.  I don't think that
this is the case because it would likely give you a non-system files error
of some sort first before asking you to press a key to continue.

I'm not aware of any version of Windows that will require a key prompt
(other than logon) before it loads.  There are certainly people here who
might know better, though.  I guess i can't help you, but someone here can,
I'm sure.
~~~~~~~~~

On 10/23/2002 at 10:27 PM a whisper was heard, and the one known as Spider
was rumoured to have uttered....

          |  Went into BIOS saw nothing resembling "system
          |  halt" in the boot area of the
          |  BIOS or any area. I tried setting the BIOS different ways with
          |  no luck. More
          |  specifics,
          |  Windows Me with 384 megs of ram, 40 gig hard drive Boots and
          |  gives the one
          |  beep "No error?" then displays the dell logo screen and then
          |  the message in
          |  dos
          |  looking screen (Black) this is the complete screen message.
          |
          |  Copyright 1996-2000 Intel Corporation
          |  CA81020A.10A.0030.P10.0011131641
          |
          |  Dell Dimension L866R
          |  Bios Version A09
          |  Intel (R) Pentium III Processor 866MHz
          |  384MB RAM
          |  Keyboard.............Detected
          |  LegacyMouse.......Detected
          |  USBLegacy..........Enabled
          |
          |  Fixed disk 0: Maxtor 5T040H4 (UDMA=66MHZ)
          |  Atapi CD-ROM CD-RW CRX140E
          |  Press <DEL> to Resume
          |
          |  Thank you for your help!
          |  Spider

*******
All the preceding is solely my own opinion not necessarily held by any
other person in any other place at any other time.  No warranty express or
implied.  Author takes no responsibility for the accuracy or usefulness of
this or any rebutttal information.  If you do not agree with this post,
please click delete and move on.