-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Best Internet Connection?

  • From: "GuitarMan" <PCTech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 02:38:34 -0400

Hi John,
    If you are now using a second phone line to allow you to connect
whenever you want (and keep the main home line open for calls), DSL's cost
will not break the bank as much as you might think.  With DSL, phone calls
and Internet signals use different frequencies.  What this means to you is
that they come in over the same line without interfering with each other at
all.  This will allow you to cancel that second line since it will no longer
be needed for internet access.  Assuming that's the case, if the combination
of the CompuServe access plus a second telephone line approaches $50 (US) a
month, DSL will give you MUCH faster speeds at approximately the same cost.

    Of course, if you only have one phone line (and therefore have to limit
your online time), the cost savings won't be there.  But you'll still be
able to access the net 24/7 by spending the extra cash on DSL or Cable
(which would come into the house through a completely different cable).

Peace,
G Man

PCTechTalk Owner