-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Boot problem_DSL

  • From: "GuitarMan" <PCTech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:44:03 -0400

Spider,
    I'm a little concerned about the line where you "tried setting the BIOS
different ways with no luck".  Since you're back here talking with us, I'll
assume that no harm came about from it.  Still, I need to caution the other
members from making changes to their BIOS without a good understanding of
what a particular setting actually controls and the possible consequences of
changing it.

    It's important for everyone to understand that the BIOS controls what
the computer does when you first turn it on or reboot.  The various options
presented in each BIOS range from setting the time and date to allowing the
mainboard to know exactly how to access and control the different drives
that may be present and even how to best communicate with the system's
memory (RAM).  An improper setting could easily result in the computer's
inability to get to the operating system and that would mean that you won't
be able to get back here (or anywhere) to find out what went wrong.  If this
ever happens, use a friend's 'internet enabled' computer to do a search for
any error messages that appear on your system.  Hopefully, you'll get the
info you need to get it working again.

    There are plenty of sites that have sections dedicated to explaining
BIOS settings and it would benefit anyone (including many who already know a
lot about this area of their systems) to read through some of what they have
to say on the subject before making any changes that could affect your
ability to boot up the system.  Just run an internet search on the phrase
"BIOS AND setup" to find tons of them.          8^)

Peace,
G Man

PCTechTalk Owner