[pchelpers] Re: CD/DVD hardware

  • From: PcCowboy <saddle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 22:45:47 -0600

Thought I bring up another point. Look to see if your Home DVD player
can play jpg or Kodak. If it does then the player can also play mpg.
Because then you really don't have to burn in the DVD format. As an
example: I  record sci-fi shows to my computer. I record them as avi.
Before my DVD burner I would make vcds out of them. These are
movies and shows that is burned to a cd-r that can play in your home
DVD player. I would have to re-encode them to mpg ( which is what
vcd uses) I would also have to encode them small enough where
1 hour would fit on a 80 min cd-r. That would mean a movie would have to be
on 2 cd-r and the picture quality would be just barely above a VHS tape,
if I did it right. Then I got a DVD burner. With it I could convert the
avi files to the DVD format and then the shows would be DVD quality.
But the problem was I could only fit 3-5 episodes of say Enterprise
on one DVD.

Then one day by accident I place a data DVD in my Home DVD player.
This was the backup of my mpg files of my Enterprise episodes. And it
play the shows. We have 4 DVD players ( living room, bedroom, son's
room and work shop) Two can play Kodak jpg and two can't. The ones
that play jpg are the ones that play the data mpg DVD.
Now I can put 9-10 episodes in the mpg format on a DVD with the picture
quality just below a DVD.
Also DVD players are cheap. I got a Player at Circuit City for $32
And I hear that they will be making players that plays the avi format. There
will be no need to convert them to mpgs.

Pc