[pchelpers] Re: Archos is pretty sneeky, BAD Archos FM Recorder

  • From: "POTGN" <potgn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:51:28 -0800

  OK, time to teach an old rock a new trick or two.  I have been laying in
the wrong stream bed for to long now, under the impression that I was going
to have to get one of these 20 GB units or bigger to record the whole days
material at an assembly or convention.  I mean, 6 to 8 hours is a lot of
time and some of the files that I have fooled around with only took a few
seconds to run and they were quite large.  I kind of stepped back from this
as I did not have the time to get into it and learn more about it.  But I
still needed this technology to make recordings for the prison work.  I'll
look at video later.

  Now I am hearing that 256 MB will do a day and more, and the unit is much
smaller, will record off FM and even has line in, should I ever find myself
in a position that I can use that, for even better quality recordings.

  Well, I guess you have already kicked this old rock over into a fresh new
steam and taught him a new trick.  Think I will give the iFP 395 a try,
still a little leary about only 256 MB.  Between that and the iPAQ with
everything up through 2003 on it I should be 'well equipped'.

  Thank all of you,

  Phil

  > At the 128 kbps stereo it will record 4 and 1/2 hours that is if you
just
  > plan on using it for music
  >
  > I have mine set at 32 kbps mono for recording the meetings and can get
over
  > 17 1/2 hours. I have the
  > Learn from the Great Teacher on it 49 megs over 7hours and it was
recorded
  > at 16kbps and the sound quality
  > Is great for voice. Even 4 1/2 hours is a lot of music. My first MP3
player
  > only had 128meg. If you have the
  > Extra $100 then get the 512. Having the line in ability is the nice
extra.
  > Then you can convert you old cassettes
  > To mp3 and then to regular cd audio if you have program like Music
Match.