Re: standards

  • From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:37:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

--- Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One thing I've finally decided is fairly useless is
> the idea, within
> naming standards, of identifying the type of object
> by a prefix. Who
> cares?

Good point for discussion. Is it a degree of how much
detail?

1) I prefer to prefix my PL/SQL function/procedure
parameters with 'p_' to help with code maintenance and
error prevention.

Because, a mis-understanding can arise when a
parameter name matches a name in a SQL query. The 'p_'
helps in these few cases.

2) I think its well documented that complex variable
prefixes *hurt* understanding of code. I typically use
simple variable prefixes to show basic scope.

I had *one* link with examples of simple PL/SQL
variable prefixes, and a *second* link which argued
against all PL/SQL prefixes (with the caveat to check
the case #1 mentioned above). Both links were great.

If I can find these two links again today or tomorrow
I will post them to the list.

Regards,

Mike Thomas