RE: standards

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 11:24:13 -0400

Short and sweet: Realize and stop doing the stupidest things you are doing
(unless you're just having too much fun doing them.)

More long winded: The marginal improvement for an organization is much
greater moving from a 20 percentile practice to an 80 percentile
practice than from moving from an 80 percentile practice to a 99 percentile
practice, and the cost of the improvement is usually less. Unless a given
practical area is very critical to success, a pretty good process is
probably good enough, and just as with bottleneck analysis for performance,
where it does no good at all to speed something up that is gated on both
ends by slower processes, improving your "good enough" processes closer to
"best practices" is unlikely to improve the overall company if some "very
bad" practice keeps it from mattering whether you marginally improve an
already good practice.

For most things in life and business, something akin to the 80/20 rule
applies.

Conversely, some practices are absolutely essential, and even if the
marginal cost for improvement is high. Getting on the first page of a google
search for internet mass marketers comes to mind, or upgrading from Carl
Lewis to Michael Jordan for marketing your shoes. But with notable
exceptions (which should be obvious to each individual organization),
improving your own worst practices is usually the most effective application
of effort.

mwf