Re: standards

  • From: Raj Jamadagni <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 07:26:08 -0700 (PDT)

We are a little extreme aren't we? So, you don't like ' when others then null;'
and that's why it
is bad? At lease you are lucky where you have some control over your
developers.

So, do you have a code review process at all? If so, how do you find time to
analyze all the code?
Raj

--- david wendelken <davewendelken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >I know what you are trying to say, but in my requirements
> >I'd rather _ignore_ it than ponder over it.
>
> In projects that I run, I don't **care** what the programmers "would rather
> do" on some issues.
> "When others then null;" is one of them.
> I tell newly assigned programmers they will be fired if they use it without
> my permission.
> Period.
> No ifs, no buts, just summarily fired.
>
> No offense, but I've had to clean up after far too many programmers who
> couldn't be bothered to
> find and fix the problem so they just swept it under the rug with that coding
> style.  For every
> time I've seen it used in an appropriate manner, I've seen it mis-used
> thousands of times.
> I've seen millions of dollars of taxpayer's money wasted because the systems
> built that way
> couldn't work correctly because of coding behaviour driven by attitudes like
> that.
>
> On projects that I do not run, and where I find the problem to be rampant, I
> ask the management
> if they are happy with the number of defects reported and the amount of money
> it costs to fix
> them.  If they are not, then I show them some bad examples of code in their
> system (that's a
> thing rarely in short supply :(, and explain how those bad coding practices
> contribute to the
> high cost of system downtime and maintenance.   (I'll give them some simple
> metrics (such as
> "This money-wasting practice occured 127 times in just 7 programs.  Fixing
> these problems at the
> source is the cheapest way to drive down your maintenance costs."  In other
> words, I don't treat
> it as a professional IT practices issue, I treat it as a business-level time
> and money issue.
> Much more likely to get management buy-in that way.

=====
Best Regards
Raj