Re: standards

  • From: david wendelken <davewendelken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 05:52:48 -0700 (PDT)

>I know what you are trying to say, but in my requirements
>I'd rather _ignore_ it than ponder over it.

In projects that I run, I don't **care** what the programmers "would rather do"
on some issues.
"When others then null;" is one of them.
I tell newly assigned programmers they will be fired if they use it without my
permission.  Period.
No ifs, no buts, just summarily fired.

No offense, but I've had to clean up after far too many programmers who
couldn't be bothered to find and fix the problem so they just swept it under
the rug with that coding style.  For every time I've seen it used in an
appropriate manner, I've seen it mis-used thousands of times.    I've seen
millions of dollars of taxpayer's money wasted because the systems built that
way couldn't work correctly because of coding behaviour driven by attitudes
like that.

On projects that I do not run, and where I find the problem to be rampant, I
ask the management if they are happy with the number of defects reported and
the amount of money it costs to fix them.  If they are not, then I show them
some bad examples of code in their system (that's a thing rarely in short
supply :(, and explain how those bad coding practices contribute to the high
cost of system downtime and maintenance.   (I'll give them some simple metrics
(such as "This money-wasting practice occured 127 times in just 7 programs.
Fixing these problems at the source is the cheapest way to drive down your
maintenance costs."  In other words, I don't treat it as a professional IT
practices issue, I treat it as a business-level time and money issue.  Much
more likely to get management buy-in that way.