RE: rm RULE based optimizer != GOOD IDEA

  • From: "Post, Ethan" <Ethan.Post@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:13:32 -0500

Well that would be a big leap.  However, I am not saying Oracle should
keep the RULE hint because one customer has one query which will benefit
from doing so.  I am assuming there are hundreds of queries such as this
that I will come across in my career and that can be multiplied of
1000's of DBA's elsewhere.

Yes you can achieve the same results without the hint but that may
require a lot of work and adding the hint does not.  I apologize for not
playing the part of the Oracle purist here but sometimes I just want to
get the job done and the RULE hint has worked very nicely for me and
others on this list numerous times in the past.

What if Oracle decides to drop other hints for indexes, join types
etc...?