Re: rm RULE based optimizer != GOOD IDEA

  • From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Oracle-L' <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 08:49:26 -0700 (PDT)

I am not even sure after Oracle built the monster
database with the monster CBO optimizer that they have
the stuff to do the proper automated tests.

I used to learn that the test team (QA team) should be
the best. I still have never seen such a company where
the tests covered everything, and do not believe
Oracle is going to spend more money that way then
developing crazy database features except they are
awaken from the "unbreakable" dream.

The phylosophy is to provide a lot of new features
that only developers understand.
I am not even sure that in such big companies they can
manage the quality of code. They are just firefighters
for the biggest customers.

All these issues are becoming very big even for
Oracle.
We were always laughing about Microsoft GPF and
security bugs and so on, but it looks Oracle database
in the last year or two are not to far.

They needed to drop RBO because could not cover the
CBO code properly.
It looks that the CBO is so complex that our current
databases are just Oracle's test environment.
It will be nice to see the increase in the number of
TAR's in the last few years and to which database
areas they are related.

I am currently trying to explain to our customer DBA's
how system statistics are good to collect, but it
looks very hard when they can search and find so many
bugs and issues related to them.
Internet is sometimes making things hard when you can
find a lot of true/false stories.
Also because we need to test every fact Oracle is
saying as fact becoming the bottleneck in developing
IT systems.

It is looking ugly when you see that Oracle DBA's are
frightened of new Oracle features or CBO.

Regards,
Zoran Martic

--- Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://mail.yahoo.com