Re: rm RULE based optimizer != GOOD IDEA

  • From: Robyn <robyn.sands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Post, Ethan" <Ethan.Post@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:35:47 -0400

I agree that the valid reason for RBO to go is to remove the need for
code maintenance, but it has become a crutch in some of our systems
and because of that, I personally won't miss it.  Never meant to imply
that lazy developers justifies Oracle getting rid of it.

As for the baseline, I'd prefer to see traces on the original code and
use it as baseline to compare changes throughout a tuning process.  Of
course I can do this on the queries I know about, but I'm not the only
one moving stuff to production.

In your case, you mentioned gathering the type of info I like to see
BEFORE adding the rule hint, and I'd throw a party if one of
developers did that.

Robyn