RE: rm RULE based optimizer != GOOD IDEA

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'lex.de.haan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lex.de.haan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ethan.Post@xxxxxx, 'Pete Sharman' <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>, 'Christian Antognini' <Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:27:01 -0400

Wait a minute.  You say that they *do* regression testing?  Are you sure?
Have you seen the list of bugs?

Maybe they only do *gression* testing - you know - a half-assed job.

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On
Behalf Of Post, Ethan

If there really is significant QA/Testing/Development that has to be done to
maintain the RBO then I understand but I would like to know the "truth"
about
the matter. If the truth is that maintaining the RULE hint isn't all that
more
complicated than maintaining the USE_HASH hint then I would like to see it
stay.
Recall, my argument is that Oracle only maintain the hint at the SQL
statement
level and that it does not need to be supported.