Re: Sql Developer

  • From: "Gints Plivna" <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rgravens@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:49:16 +0300

I see here two different problems:
1) ensure that development environment of an application has minimum
set of rights in order to avoid possible problems later in test and
production and
2) give possibility for a developer to try various approaches, make
tests, explore possibilities and get to know Oracle supplied
functionality.

I see a very easy scenario how to make both problems solved. I'm using
this scenario also myself. Simply there is separate schema for
application containing only necessary rights and there is another user
for trying out everything.
For example we have our <app_owner> schema where the actual
development is being carried out and each interested developer may
have his own user, for example user GINTS where he/she can try out
whatever he/she likes. Of course in bigger organizations there might
be problems because of many people trying out whatever and some of
them trying out to kill the db, but I think this is solvable problem.

Even if every developer is developing app in his own account there is
always possibility to create another account for everyone or at least
a common account where everyone can test his imagination :)

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu

2007/6/12, Rumpi Gravenstein <rgravens@xxxxxxxxx>:
I've run across this attitude by many and have always had some trouble with
it.  Can you tell that I'm a long time developer?