RE: Sql Developer

  • From: "Kerber, Andrew W." <Andrew.Kerber@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx, DennisCutshall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:30:36 -0500

You should try golden32 and pledit32.  Go to www.benthicsoftware.com

-----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sandra Becker
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 2:02 PM
To: DennisCutshall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Sql Developer

Dennis,

We recently switched all our developers from TOAD to SQL Developer for
economic reasons.  To date, they haven't found any functionality lacking
in SQL Developer that they had in TOAD that was critical to development
success.  All the grumbling I heard was due to their lack of familiarity
with the product.  Those who switched early (we gave them 3 months
before the switch) are happy with SQL Developer and have found it to be
superior in some ways.  Personally, I like the query builder tool since
I haven't memorized all the column names in all the tables.  Oracle
patched the query builder in April or May so a user who has privileges
on another users tables can drag and drop them in query builder.  I've
done some charts using the tool as well, which simplified presentations
I was giving.  No need to port the information to Xcel.  I'm sure it has
other interesting features, but I haven't had as much time as I would
like to play with it.

We didn't have any security issues.  Passwords are strictly controlled
in production and privileges are reviewed on a monthly basis to ensure
no one was "accidentally" given privileges they shouldn't have or not
granted privileges they should have.  In the development environment,
developers are restricted to the same privileges as the production
schema to mimick what it can and can't do.  Our test environment is set
up the same way.

Sandy

        We are looking at using Oracle's SQL Developer as a development
tool.  Does anyone have any experience with this product?  If so, please
pass on your findings.  We are particularly concerned about security.
We noticed that any user e.g. Scott, can look at many of the objects in
SYS and SYSTEM.  Is this a concern, or are those normally public?

        Dennis

        Dennis Cutshall
        Data Base Administrator
        University of North Dakota ITSS
        Phone: (701) 777-4109
        Fax: (701)777-3978
        E-Mail: DennisCutshall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NOTICE:  This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential.
The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended
as the recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying,
printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the
message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the
sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original
transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer
system. Thank you.