RE: Sql Developer

  • From: "Brady, Mark" <Mark.Brady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:26:55 -0400

This is an all too common a theme, that tools convey power. If you can
do it in SQL Developer, you can do it through SQL*plus. 'nough said.

If you're interested in the product itself I can speak some to that.

I've been a Toad user for about 7 years. With each release it gets more
and more bloated, slower and slower, and segment faults more often. Its
capabilities though are massive. OTOH, SQL Developer (been using for 6
months) is much more stable, I never have it crash, it's not slow to
open new windows, it's mostly intuitive, but it is young as software
goes. The base capabilities are mostly there, some things don't work,
things you think it should do it doesn't (yet) - I've found no gotchas
though, you know, you expected it to do one thing and it did the
opposite and didn't bother to tell you kinda thing. The nice thing is
that the online community is pretty strong. The developers keep a bug
list and future features online so you can see where the product is
going and where it isn't. AND if you know Java you can extend it
yourself.