Re: Sql Developer

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddavey@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:42:16 -0700

On 6/13/07, Davey, Alan <ddavey@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 My biggest problem with SQL Developer compared to Toad is that the sql
formatter when used on pl/sql code sucks.

The folks mostly responsible for SQL-Developer are Kris Rice and Sue Harper.

Blogs:
http://krisrice.blogspot.com/
http://sueharper.blogspot.com/

They are well aware of problems with dbms_metadata_util.

They also have no power to fix it.

Seems rather strange that a package that is so potentially useful
has such a fatal flaw, and one that should be easily fixed.

For the un-initiated, DDL output from dbms_metadata_util always
needs to be reformatted before being used, making it rather useless
for anything large scale.

There are alternatives.

Taking an export of a schema and stripping out the SQL is do-able.

I've done so with Perl, though awk/sed/grep could do it as well.

Even better, if you use Perl, DDL::Oracle will pull DDL from the database,
and it doesn't require reformatting.

--
Jared Still