Re: Service registration after listener restart

  • From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 10:29:16 -0600

Interesting - actually I'd expect your approach to work. (Making your own custom service, not from unique_name or the default dbname.) After running start_service can you check the value of the service_names init param?

Remember that after restarting the listener you have to wait a few minutes for pmon to re-register. When pmon registers with the listener, it should add a service for unique_name along with anything that's in service_names. Restarting the listener should not have any effect on database init params.

-Jeremy

--
http://www.ardentperf.com
+1 312-725-9249

Jeremy Schneider
Chicago

On 1/27/2011 12:54 PM, Michael Schmitt wrote:
Hi All,

We have setup Dataguard with a physical standby running 11.2.  We created a service that we
want to run on the primary for the users to connect to.  We have a system trigger that will
register the service with the listener for the primary after the database opens.  I am
registering the service with
dbms_service.start_service('<SERVICE>','<INSTANCE>')

This seems to work fine, but if the listener is ever shutdown and restarted,
the service will no longer be configured and we need to execute dbms_service
again.

Is there a way where I can get that service to run on the primary through a
listener restart?  I was just going to write a script to monitor it, but was
wondering if there was a different way.  I can't configure it in the
listener.ora since I do not want it to run if the database ever becomes the
standby.

Thanks,
Mike