Re: Disable redo writing

  • From: Harel Safra <harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:09:11 +0200

> 1) How I can disable redo writing during the initial copy?
>    I heard there is an hidden parameter for this.
>    If you know about it and think that it is too dangerous to put on the
> list, please send it directly to me.

The parameter is called  "_disable_logging".
To quote Jonathan Lewis from a previous discossion in oracle-l titled
"Disable logging in tablespace vs using hidden parameter _disable_logging":
"Just as a side note, unless things have change in
recent versions, _disable_logging still does all the
work of generating redo log.

The only change is that lgwr doesn't bother to write
the buffer when called - basically bypassing the actual
file-write call.

This means you still get redo latch activity, and checkpoints.
Given the fact that lots of systems now have a workable
buffer between the redo writer and the hardware, this
means that _disable_logging may give you no appreciable
benefit, unless you create MASSIVE redo log and avoid
commits.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis"

Harel Safra