Re: OT - Getting fired for database oops

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 12:18:49 +1000

Mike Haddon wrote,on my timestamp of 16/05/2009 9:12 AM:
major snip... I told him that I wasn't going to fire him for two main reasons. First he was a good admin, got along very well with the team, a very hard worker and just had a bad brain fart. Second was that he was adult enough to come into my office to admit his mistake so we could address the issue on our own terms and internal to the production team, also I was sure he would never make that mistake again.

He turned out to be a very integral part of the team. I do admit I had one of the best teams anyone could ask for.

I recall a story about one of the IBM founders who once didn't
fire one of his directors who had stuffed up and lost a few
million dollars.  When asked why, he explained:
"I just spent a coupla million dollars training
him and you want me to fire him?"
There, is a good reason why IBM ended up being such a large
and successful company.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto