Re: OCFS2

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VerreyB@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:01:43 +0000

On 08/08/2005 01:19:25 AM, Billy Verreynne (JW) wrote:

> Mladen Gogala wrote:
>
> >> I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for"...and with OCFS
> that
> >> is so true.
> >
> >That, unfortunately,  applies to Linux as well. Stability-wise, it's
> >nowhere near HP-UX, AIX or Solaris.
>
> Bull. And we're using HP-UX, Solaris and Linux. And yes, we *paid* for
> Linux and we have support for it. Linux is as stable as HP-UX and
> Solaris.

Take a look at the list of patches for 9.2.0.6 on Linux. Cluster manager was
actually downgraded
by 9.2.0.6 installation. Patches are always late for Linux and bugs are more
severe. I run Linux
in the office (RH ES 3.0, fully licensed) and at home (FC3) with wide variety
of versions, ranging
from 9.2.0.5 to 10.2. I am by no means a beginner with Linux and I have
experienced a fair share
of problems (CUPS sometimes must be restarted, some ethernet drivers were
faulty, NVIDIA doesn't
work with dual monitors). In addition to that, Linux doesn't have the standard
set of memory tuning
variables (freelim, freegoal,growlim) which means that tuning it is extremely
hard. As I said, you
get what you pay for.

--
Mladen Gogala