RE: OCFS2

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle Discussion List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:01:25 -0400

>>some of you complain about OCFS
>>and make all kinds of dispariging comments
>>please get technical because I fail to find
>>any value in a posting that just bitches

OCFS is slow(er), that is a fact...and slower than RAW when promoted as begin
equal to RAW!?

When going to a new server with more disk (7 spindles vs. 4) and more powerful
CPU, more RAM we find;
 - Very, very server waits is for disk IO...even when db activity is moderate.
 - Most of, or often the oracle waits is for disk IO...when activity is higher.

 - RMAN backup is 3 x's longer or more (than a server with only 3 datafile EXT3
disks).
 - RMAN restore is 4 x's longer (than a server with only 3 datafile EXT3 disks).

 - Can not (and is not recommended by Oracle) to archive to OCFS...massive
oracle waits when we did.
(This is a real impact because it means that RMAN scripts can *NOT* see all
arch logs as local/shared and *must* get logs from there respective local arch
dest...this is a huge risk on node failure and recovery is needed.)

All of the things I reference above I have not seen once but many, many times
over and over again.

I have personally spent months trying to better or system (disk config) for
OCFS use...and we have made improvements, but reality is that our db ran much
faster "WITH LESS HARDWARE" when we used EXT3.

We had RAID5, then went to RAID1, move arch logs to local EXT fs, re-laid out
every datafile on each disk based on optimal application data access.

The reality is that this db will run immediately faster if we got off OCFS.

Again, I know the reality is "you get what you pay for"...and for OCFS we have
paid nothing in $$$, but plenty in time!

This is not a bash of OCFS, but the reality...my reality...I see it and live
with it every day.
OCFS works and has strong management benefits over RAW, but don't kind yourself
about it equality to other filesystems.

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA