Re: Hugepages - benefits / drawbacks

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:31:27 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, David. That finally anwers my (and maybe Roman's) question: How can ISM
be used for PGA? Just because there's a shared (or rather, sharable) memory
segment created doesn't mean it must be shared. Solaris ISM or Linux HugePages
is just a name for this technology. It has all these features: (a) sharing page
tables between processes, (b) large memory page size, (c) locking pages in
memory (related to (a)). The name ISM emphasizes (a), while HugePages
emphasizes (b). The Oracle parameter _use_ism_for_pga confused me simply
because they used the term ism in it. If it was called _use_largepage_for_pga
without any change in its implementation, I wouldn't ask the question.

Yong Huang