Re: Hugepages - benefits / drawbacks

  • From: David Miller <David.J.Miller@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Roman Podshivalov <roman.podshivalov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 16:43:34 -0500

Hi Roman,

ISM is indeed shared memory, but it is possible to allocate it and only
use it in one place, i.e. a single process's PGA.  Once it's mapped into
the address space, it's just memory (at least mostly).  Clearly when
this was implemented, the PGA for each process would use a different
shared memory segment so there wouldn't be collisions.

As I mentioned before, I'm sure it was done to use large pages.  Since there
are other mechanisms now, it's no longer necessary, which is why it was
obsoleted in 10.2.

Regards,

Dave

Roman Podshivalov wrote, On 10/07/08 18:30:
David,

In my mind ISM is related to shared memory, could it be used for private memory allocation ?

thanks
--romas