Re: Documentation for reasons to NOT use RAC?

  • From: "Jost," Jörg <Joerg.Jost@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 18:46:26 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 19.05.2010, 09:28 -0700 schrieb kathy duret:

> Ok now that my name has been called out... I guess I will add my 3
> cents worth
>
> 1) The decision to go RAC is a BIG decision monetarily, time, skill
>
>     If your applications aren't mission critical why would you bother?
>

>     If you can get away with a db and standby

Hi List,

as far as i can see, at least monetarily the RAC is often a less
expensive option than a Dataguard Database.
RAC is possible with the standard edition, DG needs enterprise edition.
On the new multicore Processors it is under some circumstances
dramatically less expensive to use a RAC than a Dataguard Environment.

It depends of course on your application and needs. And i am aware of
the fact that RAC is not a real high available solution. But if you
compare just
the money, it is easy to accept this for a little to medium size
company.

Just my 2 cents

Jörg